When it comes to premium credit cards, the American Express Platinum card is one of the most sought-after options on the market.
Its tempting sign-up bonus and a long list of benefits make it a popular choice among frequent travelers and those looking to maximize their spending.
Here’s what you can expect when you sign up for the AmEx Platinum credit card.
What is the sign-up bonus?
The AmEx Platinum card offers a sign-up bonus of 100,000 Membership Reward points after you spend $6,000 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening.
Membership Rewards is the points program that AmEx uses to reward its customers.
This sign-up bonus is one of the most generous on the market and can be redeemed for travel, shopping, or other rewards.
And with such a high welcome bonus, snagging free trips will become child’s play!
What are its benefits?
The AmEx Platinum card has a shiny list of benefits, making it one of the most valuable premium credit cards available.
Here are the most attractive ones that come with the card:
- $200 annual airline fee credit: Use this credit to cover things like checked bags, in-flight purchases, and other incidental fees when you book your flight with your AmEx Platinum card.
- Global Lounge Collection: Access over 1,300 airport lounges in 140 countries, including the Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass, and Delta Sky Club lounges.
- Hotel benefits: Get complimentary room upgrades, daily breakfast for two, and other perks at over 1,000 hotels and resorts around the world when you book through the AmEx Fine Hotels & Resorts program. You also receive complimentary Gold status in Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors programs.
- Uber credits: Receive up to $200 in Uber credits each year, split into $15 monthly credits, to use for rides or Uber Eats orders in the U.S.
- CLEAR: Get $189 towards CLEAR memberships every year when you use your card and breeze through security at 45+ airports nationwide.
- $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit: Get up to $100 in statement credits each year when you make eligible purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue (credited as $50 per 6 months).
- Membership Rewards points: Earn 5X points on flights and prepaid hotels booked through AmEx Travel, and 1X points on all other purchases.
- Purchase protection: Get extended warranty protection and protection against theft or accidental damage on eligible purchases made with your AmEx Platinum card.
- AmEx Offers: Access exclusive offers from a wide range of merchants and retailers, including dining, travel, and shopping.
- Fine Dining: Enjoy exclusive access to reservations and experiences at some of the world’s best restaurants through the Global Dining Collection.
- Digital Entertainment: With $240 credit ($20 statement credit each month), experience the latest shows, audiobooks, music, and more when you use your Platinum Card to make eligible purchases on Audible, Disney+, ESPN+, and much more.
- Walmart+ membership: Use your Platinum card to pay for your monthly Walmart+ subscription and receive a statement credit that covers the full cost of the membership every month.
Despite these unignorable benefits, the million-dollar question has always been this.
Is this card worth the annual fee?
The AmEx Platinum card comes with a hefty annual fee of $695.
However, with the listicle of benefits and rewards, many cardholders find that the card pays for itself.
The $200 airline fee credit and $200 Uber credits alone cover a large portion of the annual fee. Additionally, if you use the hotel benefits and dining perks, you can easily make up the remaining cost of the card.
Who is this card for?
If you are a frequent traveler and enjoy luxury travel perks, then the AmEx Platinum card is an excellent choice for you.
Its travel benefits, such as the Global Lounge Collection, can save you hundreds of dollars each year in airport lounge access fees.
Plus, if you are a frequent Uber user or enjoy fine dining, then the card’s shopping ad dining benefits can also help you save money.
Overall, the AmEx Platinum card is an excellent option for anyone looking for a premium credit card with generous benefits and rewards.
With its high sign-up bonus, long list of perks, and ability to help you save money on travel and shopping, it’s easy to see why this card is worth the hype.
As always, assess your financial condition and credit scores first before opening another credit card.